Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sauce time!


Chet picked 6+ buckets of Roma tomatoes. I started cutting, pureeing and boiling around 9:00am Sunday morning and took the last pot off of the stove at 5:00pm. I still only got through 4 of the buckets. Unfortunately, I tried to rush the process and didn't let the first pot cool enough. One bag burst in the freezer. I cleaned it up as much as I could - but we are going to have to live with some frozen tomato sauce for a while until the freezer is empty enough to clean out - and that could be next spring. Oh well, if nothing ever goes wrong, there aren't any funny stories to tell!

4 comments:

Missy said...

I wish we had good tomatoes. Terry and I picked some nice ones up at Costco on Saturday but generally speaking out here they are barely pink and mushy.

Rissa said...

I don't cook so what would one do with all of those tomatoes?

Chet and Gini said...

I make sauce which I put in the freezer, then when I want to make spaghetti or chili or whatever, I use my own sauce. It's kind of a pain to make all the sauce - but it really does taste better than the canned stuff in the store. I also just cut up some of the tomatoes and put in smaller bags and just throw them into stews, etc.

Rissa said...

Chef Joe didn't teach me that. Maybe one day I will try to make my own sauce.