Friday, June 08, 2007

The Boss

Through high school and college, I worked in a garden store. The man who owned it got his start in business pushing a vegetable cart. He also had a large landscaping company and a lawn spraying company. There was a glass door between the offices and the store, where he would watch what was going on. Two incidents stick out in my mine.



One day a man came in and purchased some small plants. We had pop boxes and cut off bags that we could pack them in - depending on how many the customer had. I was putting his purchases in a bag when he began to complain that it was awful flimsy to carry the plants in. So, I got out a box and started to put them in there. He proceeded to complain that the box was too big - the plants would fall over. I explained that those were the only options I had. He grumbled and as I finished the sale, I said I was sorry for his inconvenience. He harrumphed that he was sorry, too (not meaning it). Under my breath I said you certainly are. I looked up and saw my boss. I thought for sure I was in trouble for being rude - until I saw that he was laughing.



Another time I was working the register a large white Cadillac with New York plates pulled into the parking lot quickly. It wasn't parked straight and the passenger left her door open. The man and woman from the car started going through the yard - being very demanding of the employees working with them. They then came into the store, being very loud the whole time. Their whole attitude was one of wanting to be waited upon. My boss "invited" them to leave the store. That only made them angrier - they had a lot of money to spend! He didn't care - he told them he didn't need their money, so finally they left without purchasing anything.



We were expected to treat our customers with repect - but it was expected that the customers treat us with respect as well. You can do a good job and work hard, without letting people take advantage of you

1 comment:

Missy said...

Did I ever visit you in the garden store - now that you mentioned it I think I remember going there.