Friday, June 01, 2007

My Dad

When I think of Dad I see the juxtaposition of his physical strength and his inner gentleness, his inner strength and his heart on his sleeve. Dad was one of those people for whom family meant everything and I knew that he would do whatever he needed to take care of us. When I was in high school both Dad and a friend's father were out of work. Dad did whatever he could to bring in a wage until he found a permanant job - pumped gas, cleaned bathrooms, whatever. My friend's father turned down positions he felt that were beneath him. Dad taught me that no job done well is shameful. There is no doubt in my mind that if he needed to cross a border to provide for his family - he would. I also remember Dad getting his GED. Some men may have done it quietly - but Dad was open about it - teaching me the value of life long learning. Another memory I have is us watching the movie "Shenandoah" - tears running down Dad's face at the end when Jimmy Stewart is in church w/what is left of his family. His youngest son comes walking down the aisle, home alive from war. Dad taught me that it's okay to show emotion. I miss Dad - I miss watching him with his grandchildren, I miss his strength, I miss his love.

1 comment:

Mike and Annette said...

What lovely memories. I still see his smile. And how he enjoyed the grandkids. I admired his ability to show emotions of tenderness. Every football season, as I sit watching games with Mike, I still hear dad's only comments at the plays. He would sit with his feet crossed and his arms crossed across his chest, and shake his head and say, "Oh lordy, lordy!" What a special man he was.