Thursday, April 05, 2007

Holy Thursday


Even though I spent 12 years in Catholic schools, I don't remember the Mass of the Holy Supper being much on my radar. Humans love ritual, and I find this one to be particularly poignant. I would love to see George Bush washing the feet of the Secret Service who stand all day to protect him. I would love to see Congresswoman McKinney wash the feet of the Capitol Police who stand all day so she can work in safety. I would love to see Nancy Pelosi wash the feet of the soldiers who stand all day guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. While people might not appreciate it if we should ask them if we can wash their feet, perhaps today we can do something to serve those who serve us.

2 comments:

Rissa said...

I do now remember something about washing feet from Catholic school.They all would just get someone else to do the washing!

Mike and Annette said...

Well said, Gini.
It is a nice thought about doing something for those who serve us and are taken for granted.