Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Raising Deer



These are Chet's Deer Gardens.

They are at the back of the property and were planted specifically for the deer to eat. One is corn, and the other is a mix of turnips and clover. As you can see, something has already been at the corn. Now, lest you think Chet has gone soft, our friend Todd and his son will be hunting this fall. Last year they got two which Chet helped get to Todd's truck (that's as close as Chet gets to hunting.) This is how Todd feeds his family, so it doesn't bother me as long as I don't have see it. The deer are pretty to watch when they run, though.

5 comments:

Mike and Annette said...

What a nice idea!! I had a few deer gardens over the years, but not planted for that purpose. I know what you mean about 'fun the see them run through'. I used to have a sewing room in the walk out basement of our last house in Cedar Falls. It had a wooded area behind the house, and ever so often, I would look up and see a few deer in the yard munching away. I esp. liked to see them when it was snowing, it looked just like a Christmas card.

Mike Angie Patrick Aaron said...

Corn fed deer are tasty!

Missy said...

You guys are killing me. One of Charlie's favorite movies in rotation right now is Bambi.

Mike Angie Patrick Aaron said...

I always prayed Mike WOULDN'T come home with a deer when he went hunting. Can't stand to see them that way.

Obert Life is Good said...

Bambi and momma walked across the back yard this morning whild I was getting my coffee. I could shoot 20 a year from our screened in porch!